Thomas Dane Gallery is seeking an Archive Assistant to join its operations in London. The successful candidate will be working alongside the Gallery Archivist on both digital and physical records, supporting the daily activities of the gallery. We are looking for a highly organised individual, capable of juggling their own workload whilst managing priorities and projects in tandem. The role requires a keen attention to detail, a good understanding of digital photography and file types and an interest in artist archives and documentation. Some prior experience working with databases and archives is preferred though this could be from other fields outside the gallery world.
Main responsibilities are as follows:
Images & Photography
- Responsible for releasing and accruing images from artists, institutions, and external stakeholders with appropriate copyright compliance.
- Developing the image database using the server system with copyright credits and metadata for immediate use.
- Preparing detailed release paperwork and filing as appropriate.
- Scheduling photography of new works and exhibitions with free-lance photographers, including preparing shot-lists and on-set support as required.
- Managing internal organisation documents – such as photography lists – and ensuring internal communications are maintained effectively.
- Processing images using Adobe to comply with requested file types, uses and colour profiles.
Artist Documentation & Research
- Processing digital press clippings and mounting physical press using appropriate collections care for long term storage.
- Scanning publications with appropriate care to archival standards.
- Undertaking archival research as required to support artist and artwork documentation.
- Preparing well-organised documents of research when needed for both internal and external uses.
- Supporting the Gallery Archivist with special projects including publishing projects, presentations and artist specific tasks as deemed necessary.
Website & Database
- Supporting the maintenance and management of the gallery database (Artlogic) and website.
- Assisting the gallery Registrar in maintaining and updating gallery records as needed – including image updates.
- Preparing artist publications, images and documentation for our website.
Position: Full Time
Hours: 10am – 6pm Monday – Friday; at least one additional Saturday per month plus flexibility during installation and art fairs; 25 days holiday per annum
Term: 12-month contract with a view to extend thereafter
More details is on the direct link.