Calling artists and researchers engaged with photographic materiality…
We are seeking applicants to participate in a five week series of Monday evening workshops this July at The Photographers’ Gallery, London. Facilitated by Professor Michelle Henning and Rowan Lear, the course will examine the physical materials of photography from critical, cultural and creative perspectives. Thanks to AHRC funding, 10 artists and researchers have the opportunity to join the workshops for free.
Individuals are invited to apply, who:
• are already engaged in questions of the sensual, social and ecological impact of photographic materials and industrial production
• would benefit from sharing their research or artwork in progress
• are able to commit to all five workshops (1, 8, 15, 22 and 29 July 2019, 6:30-8:30pm)
The 10 selected participants will work collaboratively in a group of 20 including other attendees, to develop ideas and discuss the materials and topics of the workshops. You will not pay to join the workshops but will be expected to attend throughout, to prepare for each session and contribute a short discussion of your own work in one of the workshops. For more details of the course, see: https://thephotographersgallery.org.uk/whats-on/course/stuff-photography
How to apply
If you would like to participate, please email us an expression of interest including:
• your name
• university affiliation if any
• a short paragraph (max 500 words) on the relevance of your current research or practice – website links are useful but not essential – and the benefit you hope the workshops will bring to your own work. Please also indicate which of the themes listed for each week (see course description via the link above) most connect with your own interests.
Please send applications via email to email@example.com
by 8 May 2019. We will respond to all applicants by 22 May 2019. Please get in touch if you have any questions.
About the workshops
The Stuff of Photography is a collaboration with The Photographers’ Gallery and University of West London, funded by the Arts and Humanities Research Council as part of Michelle Henning’s AHRC Leadership Fellowship (2018-19). It builds on Michelle’s current research
in the various archives of Ilford Limited, and develops Rowan Lear’s recent initiation of Planetary Processing
, a peer forum for experimental photographic artists. https://thinkingtheimage.tumblr.com/thestuffofphotography