University for the Creative Arts – UCA Farnham and Watts Gallery – Artists’ Village
|Contract Type:||Contract / Temporary|
|Placed on:||14th October 2016|
|Closes:||31st October 2016|
OCTOBER 2016 – JUNE 2017
UCA Farnham has a long standing partnership with Watts Gallery – Artists’ Village. Together they are seeking an Artist in Residence to work across both organisations in 2016/17 to respond to the key themes in the programme celebrating 200 years of G F Watts: philanthropy, music and science. This is a fantastic opportunity for the right artist or maker to build their public profile, establish new contacts and create a new body of work.
The successful candidate will receive a stipend of £6K and will enjoy sole use of a dedicated studio at the Artists’ Village for nine-months. The residency offers an opportunity to engage with a dynamic public programme, specialist curatorial and academic knowledge, diverse collections and ideas and an inspiring landscape.
The residency culminates with a 3 week solo exhibition in the Watts Contemporary Gallery space and the potential to exhibit in the landscape.
The University for the Creative Arts is a specialist institution located on campuses at Canterbury, Epsom, Farnham and Rochester. UCA is committed to creative practice and understands research to be at the heart of the creative arts and industries. Our researchers represent a broad range of practice as artists, designers, architects, filmmakers, photographers, historians, theorists and curators.
Watts Gallery – Artists’ Village is dedicated to promoting the work of G F and Mary Seton Watts and re-establishing the Artists’ Village as a centre for artistic culture and practice. The site includes Watts Gallery, Watts Studios, Watts Chapel, the Old Pottery buildings, woodland landscapes, archives, pottery, conservation and learning studios.
The Artist in Resident will:
- Have sole use of a studio space at Watts Gallery – Artists’ Village, and access to a dedicated pottery studio
- Receive a stipend of £6,000, an additional £1,000 materials subsidy, and financial support from Watts Gallery to create a catalogue to accompany an exhibition.
- Have use of workshops and technical support at UCA
- Create high quality work in response to the key themes celebrating 200 years of Watts: music, philanthropy, science
- Have the support of UCA and Artists’ Village staff and community
- Have networking opportunities through contacts at the Artists’ Village
- Exhibit and co-produce a minimum of 6 workshops, talks or public events at the Artists’ Village
- Participate in and contribute to academic events at UCA
- Integrate with the community of volunteers, staff and students at UCA and the Artists’ Village, through training events and occasional staff meetings
- Be present on site at the Artists’ Village for an average of 16 hours per week, undertaking research and participate in twice-monthly Artist in Resident Open Studios
- Be an ambassador for UCA and the Artist’ Village through their networks
- Provide written and visual artwork proposals for exhibition to an agreed timescale
Applications should take the form of a single-sided A4 written proposal, CV and examples of your work or link to your website. The proposal should make a link between your work and the key themes of philanthropy, music and science. Applications should be sent by email to Liz Baxter, Research Officer, University for the Creative Arts – email@example.com
Application Deadline: Monday 31st October 2016,
Interviews: Tuesday 15th November 2016 at Watts Gallery – Artists’ Village, Compton, Surrey, UK.