The British School at Rome
|Contract Type:||Contract / Temporary|
|Placed on:||26th October 2016|
|Closes:||11th December 2016|
The British School at Rome (BSR) seeks to appoint a new Director of high scholarly reputation, with the ambition, strategic vision and management skills to lead it in its second century.
The British School at Rome is a centre of interdisciplinary research excellence in the Mediterranean supporting the full range of arts, humanities and social sciences. We create an environment for work of international standing and impact from Britain and the Commonwealth, and a bridge into the intellectual and cultural heart of Rome and Italy. It is the largest of the research institutes sponsored by the British Academy, and is one of the leading international academies in Rome.
In succession to Professor Christopher Smith (who has held the post from 2009 to 2017, on secondment from the University of St Andrews), the person appointed will be expected to take up duties on 1 October 2017 or at the earliest possible date thereafter.
The post is full-time and residential.
Subject to contract, the expectation is that in the normal course of events the Director will serve a term of at least five years. The post may be held on secondment from a UK University or similar institution.
The Director is the chief executive, responsible to the BSR’s Council for all aspects of the management of the institution.
As Director, you will:
- take the lead in developing the research strategies and projects of the institution, and in maintaining its wide disciplinary range
- exhibit leadership and encourage teamwork in the institution through appropriate administrative and financial structures
- seek to maintain and increase the flow of external funding, by developing sponsorships and partnerships with other bodies
- take the lead in promoting a harmonious and intellectually stimulating and productive environment
- play an active role in developing your own research programmes and projects whether in academic research or in the creative arts.
- a record of distinction and achievement in research and production in any of the disciplines covered by the BSR’s remit, whether in academic research or the creative arts
- an aptitude for and experience of management in an academic institution and familiarity with the UK Higher Education sector
- experience of Italy and a good working knowledge of the Italian language
- an aptitude for and experience of raising external funds through sponsorship and grants, and a willingness and ability to pursue this vigorously
- free to reside on a permanent basis in the BSR in Rome.
Full particulars will be found on the BSR’s website, http://www.bsr.ac.uk/about/staff-and-fellows/vacancies
Applications, including a curriculum vitae, a statement of the candidate’s qualifications and experience relevant to the post, and their vision for the BSR, together with the names and e-mail addresses of three referees, should be sent by e-mail to email@example.com.
Clsing date for applications: 11 December 2016.