Artquest are partnering with the Museum of the Home who are funding a new research residency for an early career London based artist.
- Application deadline: 10am Monday 19 July 2021
- Shortlisted candidates contacted/invited to interview: Week commencing 9 August 2021
- Interviews: Week commencing 16 August 2021
- Selected artist announced: Monday 23 August 2021
- Residency research period: 20 September – 26 November 2021 (10 weeks)
- Residency closing event: Summer/Autumn 2021
- APPLY FOR UNLOCKING THE COLLECTIONS HERE
One selected artist will receive
- An award of £3,000 to develop their practice in response to the Museum of the Home’s collections.
- A further £850 to deliver a public-facing event that showcases their thinking and research undertaken over the residency period
- Special access to Museum collections and curatorial staff
This is an incredible opportunity for an early career London-based artist, working in any medium, to develop their practice responding to material in the new Collections Library at the Museum of the Home. The selected artist will explore the Museum’s collection with support from its curators at a pivotal point in the Museum’s development and its reopening to the public in 2021.
We particularly welcome applications from artists from under-represented groups in the arts, including those based on gender, sexuality, disability, ethnic origin, experience of migration, socio-economic background, and maternity / paternity.
Please note, that this is not a studio residency and does not provide a studio/workspace to complete any work.
About the Museum of the Home and the new Collections Library
The Museum of the Home is a place to explore and debate what home means. By creating exhibitions, events, collaborations, research and debates that shine a light on important issues, the Museum reveals and rethinks ideas of home. The Museum’s programming explores contemporary and historic themes and embraces unexpected collaborations, personal stories and exciting experiences. You can find out more about the Museum here.
The Collections Library offers unrivalled access to the Museum’s collection. It is a space for academic researchers, students and curious visitors. With limited spaces available, the selected artist will get privileged access to digital and online resources and to the physical collection of books, manuscripts, archival material, photographs, objects and film. You can find out more about the Collections Library here. The Collections Library is fully-accessible.
The awarded artist will be expected to:
- Visit the Museum and engage with the collections at least one day a week over the research period (20 September – 26 November 2021). Alternative arrangements can be made to access digital aspects of the collection if social distancing restrictions prevent physical access.
- Participate in x 4 interviews over the residency period which will be published on the Museum of the Home and Artquest websites.
- Produce online content (articles, video, social media posts etc) about their experiences on the residency (details to be decided in conversation with Artquest and the Museum of the Home)
- Work with Artquest and the Museum of the Home to organise a closing event to showcase their thinking, research and work over the period of the residency