Founded in 1837, the Royal College of Art is the world’s largest community of postgraduate art and design students. It is also the oldest art and design university in continuous operation and has been ranked as the world ‘s number 1 art & design university for a remarkable nine consecutive years (QS World Subject Rankings 2015-2022).
Main purpose of the post:
Take a lead in ensuring the effective provision and availability of specialist equipment and work areas in order to facilitate academic delivery, student learning, research and knowledge transfer activities.
- Provide highly skilled technical assistance, guidance and instruction to all users, demonstrating equipment and processes as appropriate.
- Provide support to the Lead Technical Instructor in the day-to-day function of technical services within the area of Digital Print
Duties and responsibilities:
- Plan, organise and provide technical support, advice and demonstrations in Digital Print and Reprographics
- Take a lead in Reprographics collaborating with the Print team.
- Actively support the growth of Digital Print technical spaces, equipment and resources across the College.
- Be responsible for the Digital Print technical spaces, contribute to the creation of learning materials and operate and maintain tools, equipment and processes in the Digital Print Labs.
- Monitor work being carried out in the Digital Print technical spaces, ensuring high standards of health & safety and housekeeping at all times.
- Support the research, buying and setting up of new equipment and services by maintaining industry links and identifying new and relevant technologies and practices.
This role involves
- Significant knowledge and experience in large format digital printing and the software used in file preparation.
- The ability to operate and maintain a digital print resource and bureau service, supporting both the production of large format specialist printing and high volume printed output.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- The ability to use initiative and work as part of a team.
- Excellent organisational, time management, planning and problem solving skills
- Excellent user focus and a flexible approach
- The role includes: fine art inkjet printing, poster printing, RISO printing, basic bookbinding, vinyl printing and cutting. Experience in the majority of these would be desirable but not essential.